Monday 5 June 2017

Active to Passive

When converting a sentence from active to passive, follow these steps:
  1. Find the verb string (and underline or highlight it if necessary).
  2. Convert the final, or main, verb into its past participle form.
  3. Add a form of the verb 'to be' before the main verb. (The form of this verb will depend on the tense of the verb string. For example, a sentence in the continuous tense will need 'being' inserted before the main verb, while a sentence in the perfect tense will need 'been' added.)
  4. The remainder of the verb string stays the same, and in the same order as it was in the equivalent active sentence.
If you follow these simple rules you shouldn't have any problems with active-passive (or passive-active) questions in the exam.
Simple present
I eat it
It is eaten (by me)
Simple past
I ate it
It was eaten (by me)
Present perfect
I have eaten it
It has been eaten (by me)
Past perfect
I had eaten it
It had been eaten (by me)
Present continuous
I am eating it
It is being eaten (by me)
Past continuous
I was eating it
It was being eaten (by me)
Present perfect continuous
I have been eating it
It has been being eaten (by me)
Past perfect continuous
I had been eating it
It had been being eaten (by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment